If you’ve been following my blog and Instagram feed, then you know that this September is a very special month for Caribbean literature. Come 6-8 September 2019, Brooklyn will host its first ever Brooklyn Caribbean Literary Festival.
Festival highlights will include:
- “An Evening with Jamaica Kincaid” hosted jointly with the Brooklyn Historical Society. At this event, fans can get up, close, and personal with the accomplished Antigua-born author whose works include A Small Place, Lucy, and Annie John.
- A lunchtime conversation with acclaimed Trinidadian author Barbara Jenkins whose works include De Rightest Place and Sic Transit Wagon.
- “Laureates of the Caribbean,” an evening of poetry and spoken word performances.
- The announcement of the winning entry of the first ever Elizabeth Nunez Caribbean-American Writer’s Award.
- A Children’s Programme featuring storytelling, wirebending, craft-making, and dancing!
- “The Gayelle,” an all-day, open-air market with lots of literary events and stalls.